The Singing Librarian has tagged me to tell y’all six of my unspectactular quirks. This is harder than it seems. I rather like showing off (who’d’a thunk?) so while it would be a pleasure to produce spectactular quirks, unspectacular ones require much more application and effort.
- While I rather like things to be tidy, I’m far less bothered about them being clean. Your immune system – use it or lose it! I’m well socialised so I do wash, but my tolerance for dirt is distressingly high. Well, distressing to other people.
- I like jargon. So much of it is clever or funny or both, and there are times when jargon expresses ideas more concisely than simpler language. However, I do admit that some people use jargon as a substitute for thought, and I have a long term project to teach myself to write more simply.
- Ah Ha! Let’s make that #3: I have a long term project to teach myself to write more simply. It’s much harder than it looks, writing simply. I don’t know if I will ever master it. It’s taking its time: at school I relished the discipline of clawing the meaning out of a piece of writing and turning it into a lucid and logical precis, and the main reason that I still blog is the writing practice it gives me.
- I always wear black underwear. About 12 or 15 years ago I experienced severe social anguish in the dressing room of a health club when a svelt and glamorous woman donned her svelt and glamorous undies and I realised that my un-matching bra and knickers were socially SO-o-o-o inept. Ever since then I’ve only ever bought and worn black undies. Not sets – I’m too mean for that. Just black, and hoped they match. This is certainly a quirk, and I am far too un-svelt for my knicker choices to be spectacular.
- I have three browsers on my PC: Google Chrome, which I am using right now and which I like apart from the lack of a spell-checker; Firefox, which I like but which eats system resources, and IE6 which I don’t like because it doesn’t do tabs. IE7 trashed my PC, so I trashed it.
- I’ve just been to Shetland for a holiday. Actually, I think that is rather spectacular, and I’ll write about it next week as simply as I can.
2. Mention the rules. – Check
3. Tell six unspectacular quirks of yours. – Check
4. Tag six bloggers by linking. – Ah, I feel suddenly shy about this so I am going to invite you to tag yourself.
5. Leave a comment for each blogger.
6. There is no sixth rule, but I agree with the Singing Librarian who things that there should be.