Bloglily’s recent post in praise of sloth has made me re-examine what happened to me the day I bought my new phone. I’d got the day of an event wrong, and ended up with some completely unscheduled time.
Now for the scary bit: I had a much nicer time than I have had for ages on the free days when I plan my activities.
What am I doing to myself?
My ‘to do list’ is looking pretty good at the moment: I did my two most pressing ‘must do’s yesterday and, other than standard chores, the rest is ‘would like to do’s.
But are they? Would I really like to do them, or would I prefer to do something entirely random instead? Perhaps I should make myself a gamer’s dice with some entirely pleasant and slothy activities on it, and throw it at least once a fortnight, or once a week, or every couple of days.
What would be good to have on it?
- Sit in bed, reading fiction and eating soft fruit
- Amble round the shops in the market town looking at tat and not buying it
- Take a walk through the valley
- Download a concert from Radio 3 and listen to it while knitting
- Go out and photograph things
… I find it rather sad that I can only think of five slothful and spirit-renewing things to do.
Note to self: Must do less.